Wednesday, November 24, 2004

 

& I thought my precinct was small

I live in an itty-bitty precinct that was carved out of a republican precinct, I heard because there were too many democrats in my immediate area. But that's neither here nor there.

I was looking at the canvass report for the SD 149 race and I find that in precinct 283, which has zero (0) registered voters (per the county clerk), 10 people voted: 9 for Heflin, 1 for Vo.

I find the map for precinct 283, and it's even itty-bittier than my precinct. Heck, I didn't know anyone lived there! (It's businesses all along that stretch of road.)

Voter registrar doesn't show any streets, voters, anything there using the street search tool and when I attempted to get the list of voters there were no records.
Comments:
That precinct voted at 0772:

http://www.harrisvotes.com/showall.aspSomeone operating the judge's unit at 0772 probably hit the wrong button and gave a 0772 voter an access code for 0283.
 
Rob suggests:

Someone operating the judge's unit at 0772 probably hit the wrong button and gave a 0772 voter an access code for 0283.OK, but did that judge make the same mistake 10 different times?
 
Actually, it was 11. only 10 of the voters voted in the SD 149 race. I would agree with Rob that it looks basically like a harmless error, made by election officials, because the ballot should be identical in this case (not always so. When they end up voting the wrong ballot that is a serious problem). My feeling about errors committed by election officials is that the voter should not be penalized, and that would generally include situations in which the voter doesn't sign in. To my mind that's the election official's job to ensure, not the voter's job.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?